Your dentist in Lewisburg may spend a lot of time talking about the health of your teeth and the best way to take care of them. After all, dentists are responsible for doing everything they can to make sure your pearly whites stay strong for a lifetime. But there’s another part of your oral health that’s often forgotten but shouldn’t be ignored — your tongue.
Your tongue is a fascinating part of your body and is responsible for a lot of important things. In fact, your tongue helps you speak, chew, and swallow. It’s also one of the strongest muscles in your entire body! But your tongue can also hide some dangerous bacteria, and if you don’t care for your tongue properly, these bacteria can cause a lot of problems.
Benefits of a Clean Tongue
Every time you brush and floss, make sure to give your tongue some attention. Properly cleaning your tongue can help:
- Food Taste Better. As we’ve mentioned, tongues can hold a lot of bacteria. These bacteria can build up on taste buds and influence the way foods taste. By cleaning your tongue daily, you’re freeing up your taste buds to absorb all of your favorite foods so that you’re able to savor every last delicious bite.
- Freshen Breath. Even though bad breath can be caused by many different things, tongue bacteria are often to blame. When you don’t remove all of the bacteria build-up from your tongue, it can put off an unpleasant odor. If you notice that your breath isn’t so minty-fresh, make sure you’re brushing your tongue every day. If the bad breath doesn’t go away, schedule an appointment with your dentist in Lewisburg as it may be a sign of something more serious.
- Make Teeth Healthier. Your teeth are in constant contact with your tongue — all day and all night. This means that anything lurking on your tongue can easily transfer to your teeth. So when bacteria are left lingering around on your tongue, it can affect your teeth and cause decay, cavities, or even gum disease.
How to Brush Your Tongue
It’s just as important to brush your tongue every day as it is to brush and floss. So every time you pick up your toothbrush, make sure to show your tongue some love. Proper tongue brushing includes starting from the back and gently brushing forward, then swiping your toothbrush from left to right. If you have trouble brushing your tongue, try using a tongue scraper. This little tool is also effective at removing tongue bacteria and may be easier for those with a sensitive gag reflex.
As always, make sure you see your dentist in Lewisburg twice a year, as well as practice good oral hygiene habits at home… including your tongue.
Accepting patients from Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Williamsport, and nearby areas.
When you hear the term ‘cosmetic dentistry,’ you may think about how these smile-enhancing treatments seem to be reserved for the rich and famous. But that’s far from the truth. In fact, your dentist in Lewisburg performs many different types of cosmetic dentistry services that can range from simple to complex. Anyone can improve their smile with cosmetic dentistry, but many may not know where to start or just what’s involved during treatment. We’re here to help.
What Treatments are Considered Cosmetic Dentistry?
There are several treatments that are classified as cosmetic dentistry. Let’s explore a few of the most common ones.
- Whitening – The most common complaint of many patients is that their teeth aren’t as white as they’d like. To combat this, many will turn to the cosmetic dentistry treatment of smile whitening. Professional whitening can dramatically brighten a smile in just one visit, and take-home touch-up gel can help the results last in between treatments. While there are plenty of options to whiten teeth out there, we recommend talking with your dentist first before you begin any smile whitening treatment.
- Veneers – Another incredibly common cosmetic dentistry option is veneers. These thin slices of porcelain or medical-grade plastic can essentially cover up minor imperfections, brighten your smile if teeth whitening isn’t right for you, or even help make teeth appear more uniformed in size and shape.
- Bonding – Dental bonding treatment is done by taking tooth-colored material that matches the rest of your teeth and, you guessed it, bonding it to the tooth surface. Bonding takes a combination of art and science to create a natural appearance that can correct discoloration, chips, or minor gaps.
- Crowns – Dental crowns are used in a variety of situations, but their main purpose is to protect teeth. Also known as caps, crowns can help strengthen an unhealthy tooth or to protect one that had a root canal. While crowns can be made up of a few different types of material, porcelain crowns are custom-created to match the shape, size, and color of surrounding teeth for a flawless look.
To find out which cosmetic dentistry treatment is best for your individual situation, talk with your dentist in Lewisburg. Occasionally, a combination of treatments may be recommended to get your ideal smile.
How to Pick the Best Cosmetic Dentist for You
Finding a dentist to transform your smile can be a daunting task. To help make your selection process easier, start by doing your research. Ask friends or family members, read reviews online, and take the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry’s suggestion and check out dentists’ before and after photos. When you’re ready, schedule a consultation and share your concerns and desires with your dentist.
If you’re unhappy with your smile, there are several things you can do to transform your look. Start by scheduling an appointment with your dentist in Lewisburg. Be sure to speak with them openly and honestly about your concerns and what you’d like to achieve. Your dental team will then work with you to find the best way to get you your ideal smile.
Accepting new patients from Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Williamsport, and nearby areas.