Did you know nearly 75% of adults in the U.S. have some fear of going to the dentist? In fact, fear of the dentist is so common that there are two names for it—odontophobia and dentophobia!
There are many reasons behind these fears of the dentist in central PA:
- A personal traumatic or painful experience
- Impersonal, uncaring dentists
- Mass media (movies, TV)
- A perception that you’re helpless or don’t have control
Dr. Larry Winans and his dental team in Lewisburg understand how you feel. We believe that visiting the dentist should be relaxing, not a cause for fear. If you’re already a patient of Dr. Winans, you know how we pamper our patients with blankets, music, DVDs, and even a selection of lipstick you can use after your appointment!
But you might not know that we can help you relax even before you arrive. If you have pre-appointment jitters, we’ll give you a prescription for a small pill to take before your appointment. This medication is part of sedation dentistry, where you’re completely relaxed, but can remain conscious throughout the appointment, although you might be so comfortable, you’ll doze off!
When you’re relaxed, any local anesthesia will work much better. Dr. Winans also uses advanced dental tools and technology that are quieter and gentler, minimizing all those triggers that might have made you fearful in the past.
If you haven’t visited our dental office in Lewisburg before, talk to us about any fears or questions you may have. You’ll see we go out of our way to make our dental practice more like a spa than a cold, clinical space. Once you’re here, our priority is you!
Even losing one tooth can be devastating, especially if it’s visible to other people. Age, accidents, and gum disease can all contribute to losing teeth. In fact, nearly 30% of adults have lost all or at least one quarter of their teeth, requiring significant restoration, such as dentures, bridges, or dental implants.
Dental implants are crowns that are fixed to titanium supports that replace the root of the tooth. They’re a superior choice for tooth replacement for several reasons:
- Improved appearance. Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth.
- Improved speech. Dental implants allow you to speak without the worry that teeth might slip.
- Easier eating. Dental implants allow you to eat your favorite foods with confidence.
- Improved self-esteem. Dental implants can give you back your smile and help you feel better about yourself.
- Durability. With good care, many implants last a lifetime.
- Convenience. Dental implants eliminate the inconvenience of removing dentures, as well as the need for messy adhesives to keep them in place.
Dr. Winans recommends dental implants in Lewisburg whenever possible for tooth replacement. Implants can help prevent the bone deterioration that results from the removal of the tooth’s root and are superior to dentures for your overall dental health. Once an implant specialist has completed your implant procedure, Dr. Winans will create beautiful porcelain crowns that are permanently attached to the implant. They will be as attractive as your original teeth, if not more so.
If you’ve lost any of your teeth, please call us at our Lewisburg dental office at 570-524-4454 Dr. Winans will discuss tooth replacement options with you and evaluate if dental implants would be a good choice for you.